The Bank of Chambersburg of Franklin, Pennsylvania was founded in 1809, and incorporated in 1814. It is the second bank in the Cumberland Valley. The bank building was built in 1829, and later destroyed in McCausland's raid on July 30, 1864.
After the building, and indeed much of the town, was burned, the bank temporarily conducted its business first in the home of D.L. Wunderlich on Second Street, and later in the lower room of the local Masonic Hall. In 1864, the bank received a new charter as the National Bank of Chambersburg.
Board Presidents have included: Joseph Culbertson, 1848-1858; William Heyser, 1858-1863; and William McClellan, 1863-1873, and others. Cashiers have included: James Lesley, 1845-1858; and George R. Messersmith, 1858-1881.
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives
Restrictions: The collection is open to researchers without restrictions.
Rights: Questions on literary property rights should be directed to the Special Collections Librarian.
Acquisition Note: Source: Kenneth Servais and Donald Terrill. Gift.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], Box [insert number], Folder [insert number and title], Servais and Terrill Papers, Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529.