Laptop Computer Policies
Perry Library has initiated a pilot project to check out laptop computers to current ODU students, faculty and staff in order to offer expanded access to electronic resources. The laptops may be used to access online library resources, the Web, email, as well as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Checking Out a Laptop
Laptop computers may be checked out to current Old Dominion University students, faculty and staff only, and they must be in good standing (no blocks on their record). Because of the value of the laptops, for patrons' own protection they must:
- Present a current ODU ID and a 2nd current photo ID (such as a driver's license) . Both ID's will be kept at the Circulation desk until the laptop is returned.
- Sign a Laptop Computer Checkout Form that acknowledges responsibility for the laptop.
- Inspect their laptops for any obvious physical damage and for the presence of all accessories at the time of checkout.
- Wait for a physical inspection of the laptop when it is returned .
Availability & Time Limits
- First-come, first-served basis; one laptop per patron.
- Maximum 3-hour loan per day, no renewals.
- All laptops are due back 1 hour before the library closes, even if the 3-hour checkout period has not expired.
Fines & Liabilities
- Overdue fines are $10.00 per hour. Fines are not prorated, any portion of an hour counts as a full hour (e.g. 5 minutes=60 minutes).
- Borrowers will pay the full cost for any hardware or software damage or loss up to $1,510.00. The Systems Department will determine the amount owed by patron.
- Noncompliance with any laptop computer checkout policy or procedure will result in laptop services being denied to the person for the semester.
- Never leave the laptop unattended.
- Laptops may be used only in Perry Library.
- Laptops must be returned to a staff member at the Circulation Desk.
- Report any hardware or software problems immediately to a staff member at the Circulation Desk .
Each laptop is set up to use the Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) in Perry Library, which is available in most areas. You must have an Old Dominion University LAN account (faculty/staff account or student account).
Each laptop has a 1.3 gigahertz Intel Celeron M processor, 512 megabyte memory, 40 gigabyte hard drive, 15" color monitor, CD drive, floppy drive, USB port and headphone jack.
Each laptop has a battery (3-4 hours) as well as a power cord that can be plugged into any unused electrical outlet in the Perry Library.
Software Applications on Laptops
Each laptop has Windows XP service pack 2, Internet Explorer 6, Acrobat Reader 7, Windows Media Player, RealMedia Player, Microsoft Word 2003, Microsoft Excel 2003 and Microsoft PowerPoint 2003.
Laptops will print to the network printer in the Reference Department on the 1 st floor. Cost for printing is .10 per page.
Saving Your Work
Work may be saved to your own floppy disk or USB memory stick/flash drive. The library does not supply either of these. Memory cards are not supported. Work may also be saved to the user's campus network drive via the web-based IUSER (http://www.odu.edu/af/occs/attachments/iuserdoc.pdf ). Any content saved to the hard drive will be removed. Perry library is not responsible for any lost data.
Troubleshooting & Technical Assistance
If you have technical problems, return the laptop to the Circulation desk.
For more information on the laptop computer services, please contact Reference and Research Services, 683-4178.