EndNote at ODU Instructions
EndNote @ ODU Table of Contents
For more information on using EndNote, contact:
- Nancy Schafer -- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karen Vaughan -- email@example.com
- Miriam Bridges -- firstname.lastname@example.org
EndNote Instructions - Cite While You Write
Insert references into Microsoft Word documents
This is a way to incorporate references from your EndNote library directly into a WORD document as in-text citations and as footnotes. If you installed EndNote on your computer, you should have an EndNote (EN) toolbar when you open Word. If you don't, you may need to configure the EndNote Program -- See below.
Open both Word 2007 and your EndNote library. Be sure the appropriate “Output Style” is selected.
In your Word document:
- Place the cursor after the sentence/quote you wish to cite.
- Click on the EndNote Tab at the top of the screen.
- At left, click on “EN Go to EndNote.”
- Highlight the desired reference/s.
- Click “Tools” > “Cite While You Write” > “Insert Selected Citation/s.” An in-text citation and a bibliography entry will be added to your Word document.
To Delete/Edit a citation in Word 2007
Remember, do not use the delete key or backspace key.
- In Word, highlight the citation you wish to delete/edit.
- In EndNote tab, at left click “Edit & manage citation(s).”
- To remove the citation highlighted, use the "Edit Reference" dropdown arrow, “Remove,” “OK.”
- To edit, enter information to add (year, pages, etc.) > “OK.”
- To add page numbers to an in-text citation, click within the in-text citation, and use the “Edit & manage citation(s)” option on the EN toolbar. Enter your page/s in the “Pages” field.. Then, OK.
To Format your bibliography:
- In Word, at top EndNote Style box, click on bottom right corner arrow.
- In the Format Bibliography box, make changes to Output Style as needed.3.
- In the “Layout” tab, select fonts, etc. Add a bibliography title as needed (Works Cited or References etc); click “OK.”
Note: If you are using Turabian style and wish to use footnotes and references, select “Turabian Bibliography” as your output style.
1. In Word, at the point you’re ready to enter a footnote, select “References” then “Insert Footnote.” The cursor will take you to the bottom of the page where your footnote will be inserted.
2. At this point, click the “EndNote X2” tab at the top toolbar.
3. Click “EN Go to EndNote” at left.
- Highlight the citation you wish to insert, then go to “Tools” then “Cite While You Write” then “Insert Selected Citation.”
- If you want to add page numbers, highlight the footnote citation, click “Edit & manage citation(s)” in the EndNote box on the left. Type in page number/s then click
Detaching from EndNote
It may be useful to create a copy of your document without the EndNote formatting before sending it to someone else.
- In Word, click the EndNoteX# tab
- In the Bibliography section, click the “Convert Citations and Bibliography” dropdown arrow
- Select “Convert to Plain Text” -- be sure to save a copy of the original EndNote-formatted version
ALWAYS PROOF YOUR CITATIONS VERY CAREFULLY !!
Instructions to configure EndNote to work with Word.
- If you don’t see the EndNote option on your toolbar list, you may need to configure your EndNote program to work with Word. Go to Start / Programs / EndNote / Configure EndNote. Choose “Configure EndNote components for me.” NEXT. Check “Unified Cite While You Write…” NEXT. Then, FINISH.