DOVE Meeting Minutes – Nov. 18, 2008

Virginia Historical Society

Present at the meeting: Co-Chair: Sonia Yaco, Old Dominion University; Derek Gray, DC Public Library, MLK Memorial; Bob Vay, George Mason University; Alfred Willis, Hampton University; Jennifer Davis McDaid, LVA; Jefferson Moak, NARA – Mid Atlantic; George Schaefer, Norfolk Circuit Court Clerk; Tonia Graves, Old Dominion University; Ann Southwell, Ellen Welch, UVA; M. Alison White, UVA Law School; Bea Hardy, Peter Jones, William and Mary; Brian Daugherity, Alex Lorch, VCU; Jodi Koste, VCU (Medical College of Virginia); Lee Shepard, Eileen Parris, Va Historical Society; Lucious Edwards, Va. State University

1. Subcommittee reports:

Alfred Willis gave a report from the grants subcommittee. The minutes are available here :

Eileen Parris presented suggestions from the data dictionary subcommittee. Alison White will supply a list of US Census tracts and school districts for a pull down menu in the database. In describing collections, we will use the school district and geographic corporate name that existed when the school desegregation records were created.
2. The differences between Virginia Heritage (VH) and DOVE were discussed. The range of record types and repositories is much broader in DOVE than VH and has a narrower subject focus.

School Desegregation Record Types Example Included in VH? Keyword discoverable in VH? Included in DOVE?
Records held in non-archival repositories – non-profit agencies, public and private schools, pubic libraries etc. Hampton Public Library – Records of Hampton Public Schools

y

Records held in repositories outside of Virginia NARA Mid-Atlantic Region  – USDC, Western District of Virginia, Roanoke, Civil Action Case # 341: P. C. Corbin vs. the County School Board of Pulaski County, Virginia

y

Non-manuscript primary sources such as newspapers LVA/Longwood/Virginia Tech – Farmville Herald

y

Collections without EAD encoded finding aids ODU – The Massive Resistance Printed Materials, 1958-1960

y

Collections with EAD encoded finding aids without desegregation related keywords ODU – Papers of W. Fred Duckworth

y

n

y

Collections with EAD encoded finding aids with desegregation related keywords Virginia State University – Prince Edward County Free School

y

y

y

3. Phase 3 – project maintenance. Old Dominion University Libraries has made a commitment to permanently house and maintain the database.

4. A brochure for DOVE publicity and collection solicitation will be created after discussions about its content at the next meeting.

5. Alex Lorch suggested that DOVE should have a user focus group to survey the needs of school desegregation researchers.

6. The next meeting will be January 27 at University of Virginia Law School from 11:00 – 3:00 PM. The location and lunch details will be sent out with the agenda. The meeting will be a work session with two sections:
1. Data dictionary – further definition of the database, possible modification, creation of sample records and on-line help feature
2. Regional task forces – New records identification process including criteria for selecting collections to include in DOVE, deadlines creation and content of DOVE brochure.

Revised: 12/2/08

DOVE grants subcommittee meeting – October 20, 2008

Present: Alfred Willis, Hampton University; Charles Ford, Norfolk State University; Sonia Yaco and  Tonia Graves ODU

The subcommittee discussed what to seek funding for and what appropriate granting agencies would be.

Grants that were discussed:

1.  Teaching American History grants through the US Department of Education.  http://www.ed.gov/programs/teachinghistory/index.html
To develop a set of learning or teaching strategies that can be applied to teachers so that they can adapt them to their classroom. We would train teachers to teach their students to look for records on school desegregation in:

  • School records
  • Historical societies
  • Other records

2.  The NHPRC’s State and National Archival Partnership Grants http://www.archives.gov/nhprc/announcement/partnership.html
This is an administrative and planning type grant to fund task force member training.  It could cover things like workshop to train ourselves. What do we need to train ourselves on?  How to identify the “about to be lost materials”, what do we consider acceptable at risk materials, how to approach the holders of those materials, determine what we expect from the holders and the materials and what might they expect from us, etc.  The grant could cover things such as travel, telecommunications, parking, photocopying and postage, developing publicity materials for DOVE, attending conferences and/or making presentations on DOVE, etc.

The NEH and the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities were identified as other possible granting agencies in terms of programming/planning and in terms of preserving, providing access to the resources.

The Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE) grant, also from the Department of Education was also mentioned but does not appear to be relevant.  http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/fipse/index.html

3. The subcommittee examined some of the funding sources suggested at the last meeting and determined that DOVE did not meet their funding criteria.
The Oliver Hill Commission appears to deal with training for lawyers, Judge Merhige’s son’s commission, relates to environmental issues, the King Commission has been inactive in the state, the Ford Foundation seems to be for advocacy.

4.  Other
After discussing concerns that DOVE might duplicate the Virginia Heritage Project (VHP), we decided this concern was not valid.  While there are some school desegregation records listed in VHP, VHP contains fully processed collections that have already existing finding aids in VIVA repositories. The DOVE project will focus on identifying unknown/unprocessed materials, such as on public libraries and their vertical files.  Also agreed that historical societies are valid sources of unidentified materials.

We discussed changing the approach for the task force meetings – making them less frequent, but longer and more substantial.  If we change them from “just meetings” to professional development workshops among archivists, historians, and educators, we stand a better chance of covering costs from a planning grant.
A suggestion for a DOVE task force workshop was a full day meeting where in the morning we develop criteria for selecting collections to include in the project and in the afternoon we demonstrate the existing database and develop modifications.

5.  What to do next
Determine specific grants from agencies discussed and identify deadlines.  Spend time reading the agencies’ mission and grant obligations to determine if it really is a match.
Determine if preliminary contact with granting agency should be made and by which grant subcommittee member. For example Charles might contact the person in charge of the Teaching American History grant.

Revised:10/24/08

DOVE Meeting Minutes – September 30th, 2008

Virginia Historical Society

Present at the meeting: Co-Chairs: Dr. James Sweeney and Sonia Yaco, Old Dominion University; Derek Gray, DC Public Library, MLK Memorial; Bob Vay, George Mason; Alfred Willis, Hampton University; Conley Edwards, Jennifer Davis McDaid, LVA; Jefferson Moak NARA – Mid Atlantic; George Schaefer, Norfolk Circuit Court Clerk; Charles H. Ford, Norfolk State University; Ann Southwell, Ellen Welch, UVA; M. Alison White, UVA Law School; Brian Daugherity, VCU; Jodi Koste, VCU (Medical College of Virginia); Lee Shepard, Lauranett Lee, Eileen Parris, Va Historical Society; Lucious Edwards, Va. State University;

1. Phase 1 – Electronic survey to gather information on the school desegregation records already in libraries and archives.

a. Sonia Yaco gave a demonstration of the online database for Phase 1 that was requested at the last meeting. The DOVE home page is:

http://www.lib.odu.edu/special/dove/

The database can be viewed by anyone, but the data entry form is password protected. Contact Sonia Yaco for the password

The use of names for school districts that may have since merged was discussed. The consensus was that the names used at the time of the record created should be used. Alison White volunteered to work on a list of historic school district names. Jody Koste and Eileen Parris volunteered to work on a data dictionary for the database to provide name authority for the repository, creator and geographic/school district coverage fields. It was recommended that a field be added for links to finding aids or other catalogs. An import function was requested to bring MARC and EAD records into the DOVE database.

b. Funding possibilities

Considering school desegregation records to be part of legal history not just educational history could open new avenues of granting agencies such as the Virginia State Bar Association, a state agency, or Old Dominion Bar Association, an African-American group.

Lauranett Lee mentioned Teaching American History grants through the US Department of Education. She recommended Bill Obrochta at VHS as a source for information on these grants. Andy Mink at UVA would be a contact for Virginia Foundation for the Humanities

Suggested items to include in the grants: Travel, telecommunications, postage, IT at ODU, task force expenses. A grant of at $25,000 is probably needed.

Other possible funding sources include: Oliver Hill Commission, (contact Esther Vaster), Judge Merhige’s son’s commission, King Commission, Ford Foundation, although that seems to be for advocacy, and the NEH.

Charles Ford, Alford Willis, and Sonia Yaco will work on a grants subcommittee.

2. Phase 2 – Regional task forces to identify other records holders and inventory their records.

a. Chairs have been found for the following regions:
Lucious Edwards, VSU – Eastern shore and Southside
Jody Koste, VCU – temporary chair for Piedmont
John Kirn, Va. Department of Historic Resources – Southwest
Ted Delaney, Washington and Lee may be willing to chair Valley of Virginia
Jim Hirschman and Bob Vay – Northern Virginia
a chair has not been found for Tidewater

b. Objectives

identify resources, make a union list
add more access points to resources

c. Methodology

We need to decide what the collection level of description will be. There is a need to describe sections of a collection that relates to school desegregation. A hierarchical database that can relate repository to collection to series or subseries should be built into the database.

There was discussion over whether all collections we survey should be included in the catalogue and how will we deal with privately held collections. We want to be able to inventory them, but prevent those people from being overrun by researchers wanting access. Among the suggestions were that institutions could restrict access to records they create; only those institutions to contribute to the catalogue would have access to those records, or simply not entering those into the catalogue.

There was more consensus on listing collections held at public institutions that have access restrictions or public records held by reluctant administrators — such as school board records. People seem to agree that those records should be listed.

Jennifer McDaid said that creation of the catalogue will require in person discussions with archivists who will be familiar with school desegregation records that exists within collections. Collections may be described in Marc records or EAD records but the school desegregation aspect of them may not be inherent in that description.

She also mentioned Dove to a superintendent’s group and wondered when we would be getting back to them, and whether that would be during Phase 1 or Phase 2 project. The consensus of the group was that was a Phase 2.

d. Timeline – Phase 1 – 1 year from when grant begins

3. Next meeting items

Subcommittee report on grant possibilities
Subcommittee report on progress on data dictionary
Discussion of creation of a brochure for Dove publicity and collection solicitation

4. Next meeting will be November 18 at 1 p.m. at VHS.

We have reserved room at Bandito’s Burrito Lounge (2905 Patterson Ave) ‎ for an 11:30 AM lunch prior to the meeting.

Revised:10/6/08

Exploratory meeting of ODU’s Mapping Desegregation Records Task Force Meeting Minutes- July 31, 2008

Virginia Historical Society

Present at the meeting: Co-Chairs: Dr. James Sweeney and Sonia Yaco, Old Dominion University; Bob Vay, George Mason; Jordan Patty, George Mason; Lee Shepard, Virginia Historical Society; Larissa Smith Ferguson, Longwood University; Jodi Koste, VCU (Medical College of Virginia); Delegate Ken Plum, Va General Assembly; Francine Archer, Va Dept Historic Resources; Eileen Parris, Va Historical Society; Troy Valos, Norfolk Public Library; Bea Hardy, William and Mary; Brian Daugherity, VCU; Lyn Hart, LVA; Carl Childs, LVA; Conley Edwards, LVA; Jennifer Davis McDaid, LVA; Brent Tarter, LVA; Alex Lorch, VCU; Alfred Willis, Hampton University

1. Sonia Yaco presented an outline of proposed task force. The main goal would be to identify, locate and preserve records that document Virginia’s school desegregation process.  She gave examples of the records created by public bodies and private groups.

Governmental records could include City Council/County Board minutes; School Board minutes and administrative papers; school district correspondence with parents, city and county officials, Virginia Department of Education and Pupil Placement Board, decisional papers, legal advice and policy statements.

Non-governmental records include teachers’ diaries, oral histories, records of informal tutoring groups that existed when public school were closed, organization papers of ad hoc citizen groups for and against Massive Resistance, papers of associations such as Virginia Education Association, Virginia State Teachers Association, Virginia Association of School Superintendents, Virginia School Boards Association.

2. Goals of task force were discussed. It was decided that the task force’s emphasis will be on inventorying public and private records already in publicly accessible locations such as libraries, archives, and governmental agencies. The scope of the project would be records related to the desegregation of public and private schools in Virginia, grades K-12 and institutions of higher education. The time span would be 1945 – 1986. Papers, photographs, existing oral histories, newspapers and audio-visual materials will be included.

3. The task force name was changed to, “Desegregation Of Virginia Education (DOVE) Project: A guide to resources”

4. The location of records and contact names of groups who could have records were identified:

  1. school superintendents association – records are at LVA
  2. teachers
  3. civic leaders
  4. curators of private collections
    • Virginia Association of Museums
    • Black History Museum
  5. civil rights organizations
    • NAACP – papers are at the Library of Congress
  6. local historical societies – few were thought to have material related to school desegregation
  7. city and county records managers
  8. state agencies
    • segregation academies were incorporated so LVA might have their records
    • architectural records
    • Virginia Foundation for Humanities, Christina Draper
    • Governors’ papers at LVA
    • Pupil Placement Board at LVA
    • Attorney General’s records at LVA
  9. religious groups
    • Catholic Church, Diocese of Richmond, since it desegregated earlier than public schools
  10. federal records
  11. state and federal courts
    • both have their own libraries
    • Walter Hoffman’s papers at Washington and Lee University School of Law

5. Although the scope of the project is statewide there will to be regional task forces. In addition to those who attended the meeting, also suggested were:

  1. Eastern Shore
    1. Miles Barnes, Eastern Shore Public Library, Accomack County
  2. Tidewater – Should this be divided up into Hampton Roads, Northern Neck?
  3. South Side
    1. Lucious Edwards, Virginia State University
  4. Northern Virginia
    1. Jim Hershman
    2. Derek Gray
  5. Piedmont
    1. Legacy Museum of African American History, Lynchburg
    2. W. Hamilton Bryson, University of Richmond Law School
    3. Randolph-Macon
  6. Valley of Virginia
    1. Dale Harter, Bridgewater College
    2. James Madison University
    3. Ted Delaney, Washington and Lee University
    4. William C. Pollard, Mary Baldwin
  7. Southwest Virginia
    1. John Kern, Va Dept Historic Resources
    2. Washington County Historical
    3. Gail M McMillan and Aaron Purcell, Virginia Tech

6. One strategy for finding school desegregation records should be to publicize the project with state wide publicity.  A brochure would be helpful to convey the goals of the project.

7. It was agreed that the first two phases of the DOVE project would be:

Phase 1: Create an electronic survey to gather information on the school desegregation records already in libraries and archives.  ODU will create this survey and send out a link to institutions before the next DOVE meeting.

Phase 2: Create regional taskforces to identify other records holders and inventory other records.

8. It was agreed that funding for the task force would have to be investigated.

9. Next meeting will be Tuesday, September 30th at 10:30 AM at Virginia Historical Society’s education classroom.

Revised: 9/5/08