Special Collections & University Archives
Search Special Collections
Monday - Friday:
9 am - 4:30 pm
Other times by appointment
The Special Collections is located on the east side of the Library
at the front of the 3rd floor.
Patricia W. & J. Douglas Perry Library
Norfolk, Virginia 23529-0256
telephone (757) 683-5350
fax (757) 683-5954
THE PAPERS OF
FINLAY FORBES FERGUSON JR.
An architect and the descendant of a longtime Norfolk family.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS NOTE
The collection principally consists of material relating to Ferguson's numerous
descendents, including family trees, birth and death registers, correspondence,
certificates, receipts, deeds, remembrances, newspaper clippings, and a diary
and will. Also, consists of material, notably photographs, relating to Ferguson's
involvement in the restoration of several of Hampton Roads' historic houses,
including the Willoughby-Baylor House, the Moses Myers House, and the Adam Thoroughgood
house. Of special note is correspondence concerning New York Life Insurance
Company's payment of insurance claims after intercourse between the United States
and Confederacy was declared unlawful in 1861.
Gift of Anna Lawrence Redfern Ferguson (Mrs. Finlay F. Ferguson Jr.) and her
daughter, Anne Stuart Ferguson Cantile, 1 February 1983.
Open to researchers with the only restriction being that no access to the collection
will be permitted for any purposes to any representative of the New York Life
Insurance Company or any successor of that company. Questions on literary property
rights should be directed to the Special Collections Librarian.
One Hollinger document case and one oversize box
MG - 50
- Genealogical Materials - Family trees, Birth and Death records
- Notes on the Family of Henry Dickson and Hannah Longstaff Dickson
The Gibson Family Papers (1803-1820) - includes correspondence, receipts,
and a list of goods bought at auction
- Finlay F. Ferguson to William Finlay Ferguson - May 18, 1841
- Peter Ferguson to Finlay F. Ferguson - October 25, 1860
- Finlay F. Ferguson to his father - March 8, 1896
- Chris Minter to Mrs. Finlay F. Ferguson Jr. - May 1, 1975
Last Will and Testament - Peter Ferguson (n.d.)
New York Life Insurance Company
Report Card of Finlay Forbes Ferguson, Woodberry Forest School - March
Deeds and Indentures
Receipts from Williams Wholesale Grocers - C.M. Ferguson and R.S. Broughton
Notes and Payments
"The Custom House" - a three page description (n.d.)
The Little Theater of Norfolk - Programs
- Announcement of the funeral of Finlay Ferguson - March 27, 1812
- "A Description of Myself" - Helen Atkinson Evans Ferguson, October 1890
- "F. F. Ferguson, A Memorial" - Nov. 5, 1936
- Speech by Harrell Ferebee in honor of F. F. Ferguson - May 3, 1938
- "To the Customs Officers" (n.d.)
- Drawing of Street Map and Lots
- Handwritten Poem "The Forest"
- Methodist Catechism 1823
- Postcard "Many happy returns of the day"
- Financial Statement 1866
- Willoughby-Baylor House
- Moses Myers House
- Adam Thoroughgood House
- Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences
- Gay 90's party
- "Shad Bake at Joe Walls Cottage"
Box 2 (oversize)
- Henry Fitzgerald - Masonic Temple Baltimore, Maryland
- Baltimore Sun - March 7, 1838
- Southern Argus - Extra - Jan. 30, 1859